Publications by Dr. John Spink:
- Spink, John, (IN PRESS). Overview of Integrated Supply Chain Management: Sourcing, Operations & Logistics, ISBN 978-x-xx-xxxxxx-x, URL: <PENDING>
- Spink, John W (2019). Food Fraud Prevention – Introduction, Implementation, and Management, Food Microbiology and Food Safety series, Springer Publishing, New York, eBook ISBN 978-1-4939-9621-6, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4939-9621-6, Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4939-9619-3, Edition Number 1,Number of Pages XIX, 591 [Online version available October 18, 2019]
Peer-Reviewed, Refereed Journal Articles
- Spink, John (2019). The Current State of Food Fraud Prevention: Overview and Requirements to Address “How to Start?” and “How Much is Enough?”, Current Opinions in Food Science (COFS), 00(00), 00-00 (SJR 1.166, ISI: #; rank: 90% & 26/255)
- Spink, John; Zhang, Guangtao; Chen, Weina & Speier-Pero, Cheri ( 2019). Introducing the Food Fraud Prevention Cycle (FFPC): A Dynamic Information Management and Strategic Roadmap, Food Control, 105 (November 2019), 233-241. (SJR 1.45, ISI 3.667; 94% & 16/273 Food Science)
- Co-author Affiliation: Zhang & Chen – Mars Incorporated (China); Speier-Pero – MSU Business College, Department of Supply Chain Management
- Spink, John, Bedard, Brian, Bruner, Leon, Keogh, John, Scimeca, Joseph, Goodridge, Lawrence, Moyer, Douglas C, & Vasan, Akila (2019). International Survey of Food Fraud and related Terminology: Preliminary Results and Discussion,, Journal of Food Science/ Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety; 00(00), 00-00. (SJR 2.755, ISI 7.028; 2/273 Food Science)
- Co-author Affiliation: Bedard, Bruner & Vasan – Grocery Manufacturer’s Association (GMA); Keogh – University of Reading (UK); Scimeca – Cargill Incorporated; Goodridge – University of McGill (Canada); Moyer – MSU CHM/ Public Health.
- Cadieux, B, Goodridge, LD, & Spink, J (2019). Gap analysis of the Canadian food fraud regulatory oversight and recommendations for improvement, Food Control Journal, 00(00), pages 00-00 Food Control (SJR 1.45, ISI 3.667; 94% & 16/273 Food Science)
- Co-author Affiliation: Cadieux & Goodridge – McGill University (Canada).
- Spink, John, Elliott, Christopher, Dean, Moira, Speier-Pero, Cheri, 2019). Fraud Data Collection Needs Survey, Science of Food Journal (NPJ, Nature), 3(1), Pages 1-5 (SJR pending, ISI pending; pending position in Food Science);
- Co-author Affiliation: Elliott & Dean – Queen’s University Belfast (NI, UK), Speier-Pero – MSU Business College, Department of Supply Chain Management.
- Spink, John; Embarek Peter Ben; Joseph Savelli, Carmen; & Bradshaw, Adam (IN PRESS, 2019). Global perspectives on food fraud: results from a WHO survey of members of the International Food Safety Authorities Network (INFOSAN), Science of Food Journal (NPJ, Nature), 3(12), Pages 1-5 (SJR pending, ISI pending; pending position in Food Science);
- Co-author Affiliation: Embarek, Savelli, & Bradshaw – World Health Organization/ International Food Safety Authorities Network (NFOSAN).
- Spink, John, Hegarty, P. Vincent, Fortin, N.D., Elliott, Christopher T., & Moyer, D.C. (2019). The Application of Public Policy Theory to the Emerging Food Fraud Risk: Next Steps, Trends in Food Science & Technology(TIFS), 85 (March 2019), 116-128. (SJR 2.558, ISI 6.609; 3/273 in food science);
- Co-author Affiliation: Hegarty & Fortin – MSU Agriculture & Law, Elliott – Queen’s University Belfast (NI, UK), Moyer – MSU Public Health
- Spink, John, Ortega, David, Chen, Chen, and Wu, Felicia (2017). Food Fraud Prevention Shifts Food Risk Focus to Vulnerability, Trends in Food Science and Technology Journal, Volume 62, Number 2, Pages 215-220. (SJR 2.334, ISI #; 99% & 3/255 in food science), Co-author Affiliation: Ortega – MSU Ag Econ, Chen & Wu – MSU Food Science.
- Moyer, Douglas C, Spink, John. & Devries, Jonathon. (2017). The Economics of a Food Fraud Incident Case Studies and Examples Including Melamine in Wheat Gluten, Food Control, Volume 71, Pages 358-364 (ISI: 3.388; SCJ: 1.156; ranking 16/123 in Food Science and Technology)(Originally published online 2016)
- Spink, J. (2017). Product Fraud and Product Counterfeiting as a Source of Terrorist Funding, Security Journal, Volume 30, Number 2, Page 640-645. (ISI 0.455; SJR 0.293) (considered a “Tier 1” Journal by the MSU School of Criminal Justice) (Originally published online 2015)
- Heinonen, J., Spink, J., & Wilson, JM, (2017). When Crime Defies Classification: The Case of Product Counterfeiting as White Collar Crime, Security Journal, Volume 30, Number 2, pp. 621-639. (ISI 0.455; SJR 0.293) [considered a “Tier 1” Journal by the MSU School of Criminal Justice] (Originally published online 2014)
- Spink, John, Moyer, Douglas. C., & Whelan, Peter. (2016). The role of the public private partnership in Food Fraud prevention—includes implementing the strategy. Current Opinion in Food Science, Volume 10, Pages 68-75 (ISI: NA, SJR: 1.166)
- Spink, John, Fortin, Neal D, Moyer, Douglas C, Miao, Hong and Wu, Yongning. (2017) Food Fraud Prevention: Policy, Strategy, and Decision-Making–Implementation Steps for a Government Agency or Industry. CHIMIA International Journal for Chemistry, Volume 70, Number 5, Pages 320-328. (ISI: 3.259, SJR 1.620) (Originally published online 2016)
- Spink, John, Moyer, Douglas C, & Speier-Pero, Cheri (2016). Introducing the Food Fraud Initial Screening Model (FFIS), Food Control, Volume 69, November 2016, Pages 306-314. (ISI Impact Factor = 3.388; Scopus SJR = 1.516; ranking 16/123 in Food Science and Technology) (Originally published online 2016)
- Spink, John, Rip, Michael, and Moyer, Douglas C, (2016). New Perspective for Addressing Public Health Threat of Counterfeit Medicines: A Review of the Nigerian Combating Counterfeiting and Sub-Standard Medicines Initiatives, Journal of Forensic Science & Criminology, Volume 4, Number 2, Page 1-13. (ISI NA; SCJ NA)
- Spink, J., Moyer, DC., Forsht, V., Park, HH., Wu, Y., Shao, B., Hong, M., Yeop Paek, C., and Edelev, D. (2015), Introducing Food Fraud including Translation and Interpretation to Russian, Korean, and Chinese Languages, Food Chemistry, Volume 189, Page 102-107. (ISI 3.259; SJR 1.559)
- Spink, J., Moyer, DC, Park, H., and Heinonen, J. (2014). Development of a Product Counterfeiting Clustering Tool (PCICT), Crime Science Journal, Volume 3, Number 3, pp. 1-8. (SJR: 1.323; ISI <new>)
- Spink, J., Moyer, DC, Park, H., and Heinonen, J. (2013/2017) Defining the Types of Counterfeiters, Counterfeiting, Offender Organizations, Crime Science Journal, Volume 2, Number 8, pp. 1-10. (SJR: 1.323; ISI <new>)
- Spink, J, Elliott, CT, Swoffer, KP, (2013). Defining food fraud prevention to align food science and technology resources, Food Science & Technology, the Journal of the Institute of Food Science and Technology, Volume 27 (Number 4), December, pp 39-42. (ISI NA; SJR 0.104)
- Wheatley, V. and Spink, J. (2013). Defining the Public Health Threat of Dietary Supplement Fraud, Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, Volume 12, Number 6, pp. 599-613. (Note: ISI ranked 1 of 161 academic Food Science Journals) (ISI 3.540; SJR 2.302)
- Everstine, K., Spink, J. and Kennedy, S. (2013). Analysis of Food Fraud and Economically Motivated Adulteration Incidents, Journal of Food Protection, Number 4, April 2013, pp. 560-735. (ISI 1.797; SJR 0.934)
- Spink, J. and Moyer, DC. (2013) Understanding and Combating Food Fraud [Cover Story], Food Technology magazine, Volume 67, Number 1, pp. 30-36. (ISI 0.289; SJR 0.15)
- Spink, J. & Fejes, Z, (2012) Review of Reports Quantifying the Economic Impact of Counterfeiting and Piracy, International Journal of Comparative and Applied Criminal Justice, Volume 36, Number 4, p. 1-23. Note: [not considered a “Tier 1” Journal by the MSU School of Criminal Justice in 2013] (ISI none; SJR none)
- Moore, J, Spink, J, and Lipp, M. (2012). Development and Application of a Database of Food Ingredient Fraud and Economically Motivated Adulteration from 1980 to 2010, Journal of Food Science, Volume 77 (Number 4), pp. R118-R126. (ISI 1.791; SJR 0.378)
- Spink, J, and Moyer, DC, (2011) Defining the Public Health Threat of Food Fraud, Journal of Food Science, Volume 75 (Number 9), p. 57-63. (ISI 1.791; SJR 0.378)
Chapters or Scholarly Reports
- Spink, J (2018). Title: “Chapter – Food fraud and adulteration: where we stand today,” in “Encyclopedia of Food Chemistry,” Section 6: Food Adulteration and Contamination, New York, Section Editor: Richard Stadler, Book ISBN: 9780128140260, [Published: 16th November 2018]
- Spink, J (2018). Title: “Chapter – Food counterfeiting: a growing concern,” in “Encyclopedia of Food Chemistry,” Section 6: Food Adulteration and Contamination, New York, Section Editor: Richard Stadler, Book ISBN: 9780128140260, [Published: 16th November 2018]
- Fenoff, Roy, & Spink, John. (2017). Chapter 22: Food Fraud and Food Fraud Detection Technology Crime, Section 3: Technology and Criminal Behavior – Other Technologies, Book: The Handbook of Technology, Crime and Justice, Page 215, Editors: Holt, T., & McGuire, M., PUBLISHER, CITY, ISBN
- Wu, Yongning; Miao, Hong; Shao, Bing; Zhang, Jing; Spink, John & Moyer, Douglas C (2017). Chapter 15: Food Fraud, In: Food Safety in China – Past, Present, and Future (English):, Science, Technology, Management and Regulation, Editors Jen, Joseph Jwu-shan and Chen, Junshi, Wiley & Sons, New York City, ISBN: 978-1-119-23796-9
- Spink, John (2016). Food Fraud Prevention, Scientific Information Bulletin, International Union Food of Science and Technology IUFOST
- Wu, Yongning, Bing, Shao, Hong, Miao, Jing, Zhang, & Spink, John. (2016). Chapter: Food Fraud, In Food Safety in China: Past, Present, and Future (Chinese), Editors: Chen, J, and Jen, JJ., CSP Books, Beijing, ISBN 978-7-5046-7061-8
- Spink, J. (2013). Chapter: Import Risks of Food Fraud. In Ellefson, W.; Zach, L.; Sullivan, D., Improving Food Import Safety. Published by Wiley-Blackwell in conjunction with the Institute of Food Technologists, London, ISBN: 0813808774.
- Spink, J (2012). Chapter: Overview of the Selection of Strategic Authentication and Tracing Programmes. In: Counterfeit Medicines: Volume I. Policy, Economics, and Countermeasures, Albert Wertheimer and Perry Wang (Eds.), (pp. 111-128), Hertfordshire, United Kingdom: ILM Publications, a trade division of International Labmate Ltd., ISBN 9781906799083.